This foodie or gastronomic tour of the centuries old historic port area of Genoa is clearly focused on finding local snacks and classic Genovese dishes. Created by Tasting Tours it is a fascinating journey which you may not have thought of doing on your own. It is a morning tour on foot to discover the several botteghe or traditional small family run shops shops producing local gastronomic delights while admiring the main architectural wonders of the city centre.
Genoa Gourmet Tour
Genoa Gourmet Tour Highlights
• Visit Sottoripa and see the old “friggitorie” serving "friscieu” (fried croquettes), "panissa" and “farinata”; pasta laboratories and bakeries displaying "focaccia" and the Genoese "pandolce" (typical cake with raisins, candied fruits and pine seeds).
• Walk along the narrow “carruggi” and reach the popular Klanguti café, where Giuseppe Verdi used to go and enjoy the delicious Falstaff brioches. Then stop at Romanengo candy shop, known for its hand-made products, i.e. crystallized violets, marron glacés, jellies, etc.
• Do not miss a taste of the panera, typical semifreddo prepared in Genoa with fresh cream and coffee powder.
• Walk along via Garibaldi with its beautiful Renaissance buildings (Palazzo Bianco, Palazzo Rosso, Palazzo Tursi), see Palazzo Ducale (outside), Columbus’ House and the Cathedral.
• Possible extension to Mercato Orientale (“Eastern Market”), a covered market built in 1899 on the site of an older convent cloister. The market will be reached by bus, underground or taxi (cost not included).
TOUR LASTS MAX. 4 HOURS (from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.)
Included: transportation to/from Genoa (if required); professional tour guide for max. 4 hours; little samples at the different shops.