The Regione Marche has produced a handy fold-up guide to the DOC wines of the region. It is very useful for quick scanning and to avoid any embarassment before the waiter takes your order. Best of all it has a list of 13 typical Marche recipes with the ideal wine scribbled underneath.
For example, a dish of 'Maiale Ubriaco' or 'drunken pig' should be accompanied with a 'Lacrima di Morro d'Alba', while a 'Scampi in Porchetta' should be eaten with a bottle of Falerio dei Colli Ascolani.
It also tells us that the strongest DOC is a Rosso Piceno Superiore and that the color of the Vernaccia di Serrapentrona is 'ruby red tending to garnet'.
Essential reading and to help you read the labels keep this note to wine colours in Italian at hand:
- Giallo Paglierino - Straw Yellow
- Giallo Paglierino Tenue - Pale Straw Yellow
- Limpido Brillante - Brilliant Clear
- Rosso Rubino - Ruby Red
- Rosso Rubino Carico - Dark Ruby Red
- Rosso Granato - Garnet Red Rosso
- Granato Tendente al Granato - Ruby Red tending to Garnet
- Rosso Granato con Riflessi Violacei - Garnet Red with Violet Reflections.