The following Renaissance Florence menus were indicated to us by B&B Giglio Bianco in Florence.
The first is taken from the "De arte coquinaria" by the maestro de Martino di Como in 1450 while the personal chef menu is a modern take on the original.
Suitably inspired we have added a video of very contemporary version of a Pumpkin Soup recipe (and listed by Martino di Como below) from one of the best restaurants in the city. Enjoy!
OLD RENAISSANCE MENU
• Menestra de carne (soup with meat and cinnamon)
• Capretto arrosto in sapore (Roast lamb)
• Herba de campo cocta et cruda (Special green mix salad)
• Frictelle de poma (Frittelle of apples)
• Crostini all'agliata canavesana (bread toast with garlic)
• Cipollata; Salsa di vino zucchero e noci
• Zuppa di zucca (pumpkin soup);
• Platina "De honesta voluptate et valetudine"
• Zanzarelli (Special soup with parmigiano cheese and cinnamon)
• Agnello in aglio (Lamb with garlic)
• Torta bolognese (Special tart with spinach and cheese)
• Torta di farro (tart with cereal, cheese and pepper)
NEW RENAISSANCE MENU
Fresh (home made) Fetuccine with artichokes and salad egg- flip with Parmigiano cheese; Bread tomato soup with basil and garlic; Rice with Chianti sauce and Parmigiano; Fresh (home made) pasta with duck ragout; Gnocchi (Potatoes dumpling) with guinea fowl ragout; Leek soup with Parmigiano and cinnamon; Assorted could meat from Tuscany; Sweet onion in Balsamic vinegar and Chianti sauce
Orange duck with roast artichokes; Grill with balsamic vinegar and potatoes; Roast Guinea fowl with citrus fruits and potatoes; Fricassee with green peas; Stew beef with black pepper and chianti sauce with mix vegetable; Stewed rabbit with tomatoes and special fresh salad; Spit with Vegetable and meat
Sweet cream with cheese and warm chocolate; Pears with ricotta ice cream and cinnamon; Stuffed Fruits; Chocolate cake