The following cooking vacation package put together by Villa Gaia is a perfect short break to discover the zone of Asti and Alba, and taste some great food and fine wine.
Here we highlight the 3 days and 2 nights proposal, but note that a four day three night offer is also available. Both require a minimum of 4 participants.
ASTI COOKING VACATION
Day 1 - Friday
- Arrival at Villa Gaia, check-in, time for relax. Evening and dinner at leisure - Overnight at Villa Gaia
Day 2 – Saturday
- Buffet breakfast.
- Meeting with your English-speaking guide and departure for San Martino Alfieri with visit of the historic Marchesi Alfieri winery, located in the Alfieri Castle. This castle was a former fortress which was turned into an elegant residence in the late XVII century. Standing high above the adjoining hills between Asti and Alba, the position of the castle makes it an ideal location for the production of wines in the grand Piedmont style. Estate owners Emanuela, Antonella, and Giovanna San Martino di San Germano manage the wine production in collaboration with Mario Olivero, Estate Director and Oenologist. Visit of the castle, the sumptuous park and the cellars where the esteemed Barbera d'Asti, jewel of the winery, is produced. Final wine-tasting.
- Transfer to Asti where you will first visit the weekly market and do the shopping for the afternoon cooking session. A guided tour of the historic centre with its medieval towers, the gothic cathedral, and its baroque buildings will follow. Lunch at leisure and free time for walking along the main street.
- Return to Villa Gaia for your first hands-on cooking class. The friendly and enterprising chef Elisabetta Canale will guide you through the preparation of a 3-course menu.
- Final dinner with the dishes prepared.
- Overnight at Villa Gaia
Day 3 – Sunday
- Buffet breakfast and check-out
- This morning you will have the possibility of visiting the Langhe (visit the Grinzane castle, a Barolo producer and Alba historic centre) or the city of Turin (3-hour walk in the historic centre, free time for some shopping or for visiting the Egyptian Museum or the National Museum of Cinema). In both cases, you will meet your English-speaking tourist guide on the place.
- Departure for airport