Every Autumn the Association Officina Zone Umane (OZU) based near Monteleone Sabino proposes 2 or 3 night olive picking weekends in the heart of the Sabine Hills.
Not only does it offer a chance of experiencing this wonderful unspoilt zone of Lazio but also the rare opportunity of tasting (literally) traditional country life by participating in the harvest of the olives and celebrating the first extra virign olive oil of the season with (probably) the best Bruschetta in Italy!
But not only. You will visit the ‘frantoio’ or mill to see how the oil is made, learn how to use extra virgin olive oil in basic italian dishes such as home made fettuccine and appreciate the nutritional benefits of olive oil from this particular zone.
The available weekend dates for November 2012 are : 2nd-5th; 9th-12th; or 16th-19th.
You can choose to either stay from Friday to Monday or Friday to Sunday.
OLIVE PICKING WEEKEND PROGRAM
View the full olive oil picking program here but it roles out as follows:
pick up from the airport/train station and arrival at OZU in late afternoon
19.30 presentation of OZU cultural centre and OLIVEARTE cultural agency
22.00 presentation on how to pick the olives
9.30 ready to leave for the olive grove
9.45 - 15.30 picking olives
12.30 barbecue lunch in the grove
16.00- 18.00 visit to the frantoio including an explanation of the oil making process and nutritional aspects
10.00 - 16.00 visit to S. Vittoria Church, trip to the Turano lake, visit to Colle di Tora and Ascrea villages.
13.00 picnic lunch near the lake
(followed by departure for those leaving on Sunday)
17.00 tasting of local products and extravirgin olive oil
18.00 cooking lesson: how to prepare home made pasta
departure to the airport/train station
PRICES INCLUDING MEALS AND TRANSFERS
3 NIGHTS (Friday to Monday)
• Sleeping in the dormitory at OZU – Per person: €350
• Sleeping in a double room at OZU – Double occupancy per person: €380
• Sleeping in a double room at OZU – Single occupancy per person: €400
• Sleeping at the Agriturismo near OZU – Double occupancy per person: €450
• Sleeping at the Agriturismo near OZU – Single occupancy per person: €490
2 NIGHTS (Friday to Sunday)
• Sleeping in the dormitory at OZU – Per person: €230
• Sleeping in a double room at OZU – Double occupancy per person: €260
• Sleeping in a double room at OZU – Single occupancy per person: €280
• Sleeping at the Agriturismo near OZU – Double occupancy per person: €310
• Sleeping at the Agriturismo near OZU – Single occupancy per person: €330